Our Thanksgiving!

I was so excited for this year's Thanksgiving for a number of reasons. One, it is one of my favorite holidays - a 4 day weekend, family, food and best of all - thankfulness. Two, we were having it our...for the first time. Third, it was my Dad's birthday...which makes it an even more special day.


I was so happy the weather turned out to be gorgeous here in Southern California for the day so we could eat outside. It was also perfect for BBQing the turkey. Jimi totally owned this task, and brined the turkey for 24 hours and grilled it to perfection.

We did a potluck style meal, because there are just some things we just love that our mom's are excellent at. We were all able to concentrate on one or two dishes, rather than everything all at once...it was so successful and a lot less stressful for all.

The Menu
The Main Course
BBQ Turkey - Jack Daniels Brine, charcoal grill, and hickory wood chips.
*The drawback to a BBQed Turkey - It can not be stuffed and you don't get drippings for the gravy.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes - I used this recipe!
Sweet Potatoes - drowning in a brown sugar butter, sauce these babies are my favorite!
*My mom does a killer job on this family recipe.
Stuffing - Jimi's Mom, Cathy, worked her magic making stuffing without the turkey.
Green Bean Salad - Mom knows how to make green beans delicious



The Extras
Cranberry Sauce - two different directions in cute mason jars, my mom had a traditional sauce and the a relish of sorts, both were amazing!
Gravy - With no drippings, I had to get creative, so I used this recipe. I turned out much better then I expected! Plus, it was so easy!

Drinks
Wine and Martinelli's Sparkling Cider are a Thanksgiving must, but I also made this lime-rosemary water for the table. Yum!




The Table
This is the fun part and I really loved having the time to make it a really special meal.




Dessert
Pecan Pie - Jimi's favorite and Cathy's family recipe, so this was must
Apple Pie - My sister, Lily, totally cranked out a pie that was Pinterest worthy, she slaved till 1am, but it definitely paid off.





Such a good day. Now, what's on the menu for your Christmas feast next week? 

 photo signituresmall_zps613ffef0.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© 2013 MAD DREAM DESIGN, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena

Pin It button on image hover