Loving Lately // Catalina Crossing

This weekend is probably one of my favorite weekends of the year. This weekend is the Catalina Crossing. am ready to paddle my ass off to get to Catalina Island from Newport Beach, CA. It is about a 27 mile race, with 9 girls in a 200lb. canoe. We were flying on Wednesday night at our last practice of the season, so I can't wait to see how we do. This will be my 12th crossing and we have a rockin crew, with great coaches and what looks to be like WARM weather. That maybe the best part of the deal. Jumping in and out cold water is sooo much better when the sun is out and it is hot.

This season has been a different one, new coach, new teammates, I decided to start my own business and I am planning my wedding. Lots going on and a lot of adjustment. The great thing about paddling 6 man is the coming together and pushing through, getting through a race or a practice with a bunch of girls that might have a lot differences, or have completely different things going in their lives, or girls you might not have that much in common with. But, you have paddling in common, a love for the water and a want to do better, be better whether it is faster, a cleaner stroke or a better blend...there is always a goal to achieve, and there is something to be said about doing it together as one that makes it awesome! These girls are my friends for life...no matter where we end up, we experience things together that no one gets to do every day. Whales, dolphins, fun waves, big waves, windy days and some of the most gorgeous summer nights...what is not to love about any of that. We also get to experience the tough times together - the hard workouts, the not so easy lineups, the last minute changes, people dropping out and the days where you are just fighting the water rather then riding it...these days happen, but the girls that stick around through all of it I know have my back.

"Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make." - Charles Stanley

Every girl in my boat tomorrow I know will bring her toughest game face, her best dance moves and an awesome attitude. They made their choice to fight on with their team, to get out there and race the race that means the most. For me, most of us, this is the race we train all year for...this is the journey we seek to find. I think most would agree, there is nothing like finishing this race.

Here are some photos from my past Catalina crossings over the years and here is to an awesome weekend on the water and messin' around with boats. Can't wait!
 
Catalina 2012 c/o C. Silvester

Catalina 2012
Catalina 2010

Catalina 2009
Catalina 2009
Catalina 2008 (Love this photo!)

I will follow up with some photos and an update from this year in the next few weeks, but if you would like to follow along over the weekend, check out my Instagram and Twitter @maddiedierkes.


xo,

 photo signituresmall_zps613ffef0.jpg


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© 2013 MAD DREAM DESIGN, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena

Pin It button on image hover