SanO Sundays

Our favorite thing about paddling is riding waves.  Hands down.  One of the best places to ride waves in a canoe in Orange County, Ca is San Onofre State Beach.  This kind of surfing is what you see everyone on those canoes in Waikiki doing, catching waves from way outside and being able to ride them all the way into shore.  For me this is the best of both worlds...surfing and paddling, can't get any better than that, in my opinion.

Photo Credit: Kel Thompson
My love for the ocean started when I was really young.  I wanted to be a lifeguard at the age of three, swim lessons were my favorite and I started swimming on my own just after I turned three.  My sister and I were in the water 24/7 in the summer with Jr. Guards, swim team, the beach, and our neighborhood pool.  I started surfing in Jr. high every summer and started paddling my sophomore year of high school, so now I was on the water almost every day of the week year round.  My senior year of high school I started surfing 3 times a week and paddling 6 days a week and that lasted through the first couple of years of college.  Once I started art school at CSULB surfing dropped off for me, but paddling and my love for the ocean still hold true.

Photo Credit: Molly Bishop
I have never understood the surfer attitude that is given off when you are not someone who is there everyday or is just there to have fun, like the idea that this is their beach and why are you here, even though I had been coming to the same exact spot to go to the beach every summer since before I can remember.  We still get the same attitude now as paddlers, or stand up paddlers, from surfers, even though a lot of us surf and have the same love of the waves and ocean that surfers do.

Photo Credit: Molly Bishop
Paddling was an easy choice for me because of the community, the history, the culture and the boat.  Believe it or not I feel so much more comfortable in a boat, then on a board!  There is always someone to paddle with and there are always dozens of people who are willing to go surf SanO with you in a canoe.  We were able to muster up three surf canoes, 3 standup boards, a surf ski and a dozen surf boards on a trailer made for fun.  We had people from all different clubs down there taking rides together and sharing some of the most gorgeous day!  SanO days maybe only happen 2 -3 times a year for us but they are always well worth the wait and no one can get us down on days like that.

Photo Credit: Molly Bishop
It is whoever is having the most fun right?  Its all about the people you meet, the experiences you find and the days you will never forget...that is what paddling is all about. xo  

Photo Credit: Maddie Dierkes of Mad Dream Design
SanO From Where I Stand (Photo Credit: Maddie Dierkes)
Fetch at Dog Patch (Photo Credit: Maddie Dierkes)
Ready for SanO (Photo Credit: Maddie Dierkes)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© 2013 MAD DREAM DESIGN, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena

Pin It button on image hover