Race season has begun!

As some of you know, I paddle outrigger canoe year round.  This is my 11th season paddling 6 man and it is still just as fun as ever!  I started paddling as a sophomore in high school on the NAC Jr. team, quit soccer and never looked back!  I now paddle for the NAC women's team and it is still a total blast! There may be no boys at practice, or no one coaching me like my high school coach did,  but now I have a tight group of girls, and a much more mellow and fun outlook on paddling.  My competitive nature still finds its way out at all the races, but for the most part this is all for fun.  There is a time and place for everything and at this time in my life paddling career, it has become an extra thing I get to do for fun and to stay in shape, so I am just grateful to have it in my life.
Thank you Kel Thompson for the great race day photos!
We arrived in San Diego, Mission Bay, bright and early Saturday morning for the first Ironman of 2012, which makes it a very exciting, yet long day for all paddlers a like.  Ironman races are long distance races that take place mostly in the ocean and range from 10 - 18 miles.  We didn't really have any expectations for this race other than we wanted to place in the top 10 and have fun.  Let me just say, even with a more laid back approach this year, our boat rocked the first race of the season!!! I am super proud of my girls and the team I paddle with.  We were able to meet both goals this race!  We were the 10th women's boat across the line, with only 1 coed boat in front of us and we were 4th in our division.  What a great way to kick off the season!!!

To sugar coat our race, our top men's boat, in which Jimi steers, came in third overall in the men's race!

Here is to the 2012 6 man season! It is going to be a blast!

   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© 2013 MAD DREAM DESIGN, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena

Pin It button on image hover