Dream Jobs and The Artist's Way

52 Lists // Week 14 // Dream Jobs

I have been a bit lax with my posts this week, but here is a bit on why:

I am moving away from what I have been recently calling "fluff posts" and have set my heart on more in depth, informative, inspiring and creative content. My background is in art and art history. I am a designer second to be an artist and I want my blog to reflect that. No more design for design's sake, but rather inspired design, history, cutting edge, and unique art and people...that is what I really love. The stuff behind the work, that is why I love art history. With that said, I still want to have fun...I enjoy lists and this project can be as in depth as I want it to be, so I am going to continue, but I will be mixing in some art, art history, inspired design, and some reflection when I can! :)

This prompt goes quite well with what I am currently reading, The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I am on Week 8 (my weeks often turn into two weeks) which is about loss. Each chapter is full of amazing anecdotes and concepts for artists, students who went to art school, or are just a creative person that is finding themselves blocked.

I didn't think I was a blocked artist until I started reading The Artist's Way, but oh wow, was I dead wrong.
There are some chapters where I am just in awe of how at one point in the not so distant past that was soooo me. It is a bit scary, a bit eye opening, and a bit of relief that I am out of some of those relationships and mind sets today. It makes me thankful for my gifts and talents, as every artist should be. I am moving through the chapters slowly really absorbing what she has to say and taking in what resonates with me. It is powerful stuff.

One exercise from The Artist's Way is much like this week's prompt, focusing on your dream jobs, as a kid and as an adult now. I must say my dream jobs as a child are quite a bit different to the ones I have now. And then there are some so far out there, that you may be surprised to see them, if you know me well. I was even surprised to see some of them.

photo credit

Childhood Dream Jobs 
lifeguard.
interior designer.
marine biologist.
animal trainer.
photo journalist.
artist.
history teacher.
professional athlete.


via @for_thedreamers instagram

Current Dream Jobs
small business owner.
jewelry designer.
museum curator.
marine biologist.
singer.
explorer. 
fine artist.
art/design expert.
art/art history teacher.

The challenge for this list is the number one reason and benefit for doing this list, and same goes for The Artist's Way, incorporating these dreams into your life in some way. I have no want to be a lifeguard anymore, but I recognized the exact reason why I wanted to be at 3 years old. I wanted to be a lifeguard, because I love the ocean and I want to be on the ocean on a regular basis...not just in the summer time. So I paddle outrigger canoe. The best part of that is still apart of my life, in a fun way!

Challenge
How can I integrate one of these dream jobs into my life right now?
Photo journalism - use my blog as a place for photo journalism - share photos, journeys, and knowledge. Do my research, interview experts, and become an expert in the process. It is all about the journey....embrace it.


What are your dream jobs? Do you incorporate the ideas you loved about that dream job into your life somehow? Or are you making one of your dream jobs a reality? I know I am.

xo,



52 Lists Project with Moorea Seal

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful post! I think my dream job is something like "self-employed creative". I know that's cheating a bit but it would let me be a collage-maker, vintage shop owner and kick-ass back up singer (all of which are dream jobs for me). I appreciate your goal to make your blog a bit "deeper" which is something that WetDesert struggles with as well. Posting for the sake of posting gets old quickly! I'm excited to see what lays ahead with your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think a self employed creative sounds like a great dream job!! All of those dream jobs sound fun and they are definitely all creative. It has become much harder to post deeper material than the fluff stuff, but I know it will get easier and be worth it in the long run.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© 2013 MAD DREAM DESIGN, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena

Pin It button on image hover